Monday, October 13, 2008

Books in the Home

My friend Esther Ruth posted this on her My Space page. I thought it was interesting enough to share myself. :)
I am not sure where she read it though.

"Books in the home, even if they aren't necessarily read by the parents,
promote better scores not only in English, but also in science and math. The NEA
study indicated that shelves of books are more important than income or parental
educational background.Homes with 10 or fewer books yield the lowest test
scores, and the scores increase steadily with more books in the home, in
history, civics, math and science. The issue is not income, according to the
study, or even whether the parents have a college education. "Students of
high-school-educated parents living in homes with more than 100 books outscored
students with college-educated parents and 0-10 books in the home", the study
notes."A poor family, with books in the house, will produce a child, on the
average, who will do better in those subjects than a rich kid with no books in
the house...the data just shows the power of the home environment."


This is one of the first things you see when you walk in the front door. It's no wonder my kids are so smart, huh? ;-)

1 comment:

Esther Ruth said...

Sorry I forgot to give the references lol! It was from hubby's World magazine (current one).

Love your bookcases!