Tuesday, September 30, 2008

A Homeschool Compliment


At times, the responsibility of homeschooling can overwhelm me. But I know that I am doing what is best for Sweetie.
Yesterday, I had to visit our local target, which just happens to have a Starbucks inside of it. And they just happened to have pumpkin spice frappechinos. ;-)
While we were waiting in line, a friend from church walked into Target. I stopped to talk with her. Sweetie joined in on the conversation with me.
Lady: Hubby is out of town. I *Hate* it when he goes out of town!
Sweetie: You know what? Daddy went to work one day, and worked *all* night! He didn't even sleep! And when he got home, he took a nap until SUPPER TIME!
(She said this with much drama, and animation as she could)
By this time my coffee was ready, and there was a lady there waiting for her coffee. This lady asked me what grade Sweetie was in, and I told her kindergarten. She asked where she went to school, and I informed her that she is home schooled.
This lady then says, "I can tell! She is very smart. I am a first grade teacher, and schools love to have children like her. Her use of words, and willingness to participate is what they want."
I thanked her politely. Encouraged that someone in edcuation was impressed with Sweeties skills.
But, today I realized something. Schools wouldn't like Sweetie, I don't think. Now, why would I say that, after that nice lady gave me a genuine compliment?
Well, even though Sweetie is *very* smart, they would probably classify her as ADD.
She has a hard time staying on task. They wouldn't appreciate her creativity then.
She is a very hands on and a visual learner. She wouldn't fit in well with their curriculum of staying at a desk for hours doing seat work.
She tends to hum while she works. They would want her to be quiet so as to not disturb the other students.
Nope. I don't think they would love to have Sweetie after all. I know I am doing the right thing homeschooling her where she can learn in an enviroment that can tolerate her. I think I'll keep her here with me. ;-)

4 comments:

Heather said...

I agree with you 100%. Sweetie is exactly where God wants her to be. Learning with her mommy. There's no one better to teach her than you.
Take care.
Heather

Kelli said...

What a wonderful compliment...your sweetie sounds like a precious girl!
~Kelli
P.s I'm the only one in my family who likes acorn squash too. :0)

"Sweetdove" said...

This is great Heather! So glad the Lord brought encouragement your way...you are right though that the schools probably would not like Arianna the way she is. But she is a unique and NORMAL child! You are best qualified to raise her in the unique way God directs you to...

Jen said...

That is so wonderful:) I think she is a normal little girl with normal energy, not ADD:) I am so glad schooling is going well for you!!!